First.. a disclaimer: I don't have the music vocabulary that a great many of my friends do. I love music, and I'm an enthusiastic consumer, but I am not good at coming up with intelligent-sounding analyses of songs, fraught with insightful comparisons to past music.
I just know what stuff sounds like to me... which sometimes makes perfect sense to others.. ( as in the case of Aerosmith's Living on the Edge having the same intro as The Kinks' Have Another Drink) And sometimes it makes sense only to me.. - The White Stripes Hotel Yorba completely reminded me of The Kinks' Muswell Hillbilly (Wow.. two Kinks references and I'm not even that much of a fan)
I bring this up because my er.. reviews? (if you can call them that).. while sometimes elaborate, will more often than not be something like "gee.. I liked this song".
Which brings us to the first thing I liked.. Glasvegas - Flowers and Football Tops
This came off the CMJ top 20 album chart (its on one of those albums), and I REALLY liked it.
Granted, the CMJ chart is an easier sell for me, than say Billboard's Hot 100, but I figured I deserved a break from the more mainstream stuff after the 11 hours of Grammy's last night (more on that below)
I had a passing familiarity with Glasvegas because their cover of Be My Baby made it into the last Coverville podcast.
Flowers and Football Tops sounds like (to me) what would happen if the Jesus and Mary Chain did a U2 vocal impersonation and set it to a late 50s pop sound. It is way too long, I really didn't need nearly 7 minutes of it, but the good news is that if you picked out any 3 1/2 minutes of it, at any point in the song, I would have liked it. Between Be My Baby and this.. I think I am well on my way to liking these guys.
Now, here are my few Grammy related points
- Sugarland blew me away. I had no expectation that I would like them, and their performance was riveting.
- I liked Miley Cyrus and Taylor Swift together. I thought the two unusual voices melded very well. I was surprised, but by no means alone in this, it was everyone's guilty pleasure of the night.
- I don't care what M.I.A. looked like in her non-maternity wear, I love her!
- The only thing T.I. has done so far that I've liked is the Chevy commercial from a year or two back.
- Estelle was awesome.
- I liked Lil Wayne. Particularly on the New Orlean's thing.