May 25, 2006

DC Follies

Hey all..

I just came back (well not just, I've been back since monday) from 4 days in the DC area, where me and the BF attended my nephew's graduation from George Washington University. (My nephew was mentioned by name during the president of the school's speech! very exciting!)

We had a very nice time in DC, except for the "getting up early every day". We did some sightseeing -- Went to the American History Museum, which was great fun... I got to see
Ted Baxter's Jacket! (which was pretty exciting for me, I am a huge fan of the Mary Tyler Moore Show)

We also went to the Zoo where I got to meet a distant relative


I normally do a ton of research before I go away and plan out places to eat - but I didn't really have time so we sorta winged it - and with the exception of the lunch on the run at the zoo, we ate pretty well.


This is a restaurant we happened upon when coming back from a long day of sightseeing. We had parked in Silver Spring for easier Metro access, and were on our way back to the hotel, and figured we'd grab a bite to eat. We were headed to another restaurant when we walked past this one and decided that Ethiopian food sounded good and went here instead. Very good decision - we had a really nice dinner.


We found this restaurant on our first night in town by searching online for something near the hotel. This restaurant was in nearby College Park. The food was good, and the staff were very very friendly.

I really had a great time.

I was pretty fortunate to be able to knit the whole ride down in the car... I've never successfully knit in a car before, I usually get queasy - but I got lucky :) I am just about to turn the heel on Jaywalker #2, and so far, at least, its coming out at least close to the same as the first.

I had posted on the Knittyboard that I'd planned on paying a visit to Stitch DC when in town and was lucky enough to do so. I went to the Georgetown store, and the very very nice person who worked there, knew who I was from my post and greeted me! I had a lovely time in the store which was a comfortable and quiet oasis in the middle of a mob of people, and picked up some Karabella Aurora 4, and Lornas Laces Shepherd Sock on sale, as well as a 40" size 5 Addi.


The Aurora 4 (above) is ostensibly DK weight, but it seems thinner than that to me. It wasn't significantly thicker than the Shepherd Sock (below).
They had used it to knit Embossed Leaves from the Winter 2005 Interweave,
and the stitch definition was beautiful!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad you had a nice trip! And look at you scoping out all the yarns for sock knitting - methinks we have an addict? ;-)

Welcome home!

LaBean said...

Woooo Sounds like a lot of fun time was had. And you got to knit too! MMMM Ethiopian food. Can you believe I live here in NY and never got a chance to eat any? I once knew and Ethiopian food and she'd always talk about good stuff to eat. And Yay for Jay progress!!

C+SK said...

Oh otters!!! Same family as weasels!! :-) Looks like you had a great time! :-)

Jennifer said...

Sounds like you had a great time! I've never had Ethiopian food. Good, eh?

schrodinger said...

Sounds like you had a lovely trip, lots of Jaywalker progress, which is always a good thing, along with yarn shopping - an even better thing!!